Thursday, June 25, 2009

Ty's Baseball Season Ends With A....Crack?

Friday, June 5 started like any other day. We had just got back from Disneyland the night before, and we were excited to get back into the swing of things...namely baseball. Dave was subbing as Ty's coach that night, and we had back to back games, first Ty, then Jack.Ty was playing catch, he is really good at this position.
I didn't realize I had got this picture till I was looking through them last week, this is the exact moment he broke his thumb. Mom of the year that I am, I didn't realize he was hurt, I kept yelling at him to get the ball back to the pitcher. Dave pulled him out of the game, and after I assessed that Ty's normally pudgy fingers were extra sausage-like, and that he could not make a fist, I called Kate to tell her that I was bringing Ty in for an x-ray. And she informs me she has been fired! So I call mom and tell her both situations, including the fact that Dave was coaching and somebody had to be with Jack and Izzi. Mom comes and picks Ty up and takes him to the ER (Orem Community, where our favorite ER doctor ever, Gary Sanderson was working). After I got the little kids situated, I went to the ER. There was Ty, asking them how long the x-rays would take, because he wanted to get back to the game. There were no tears, he was MAD! When Dr. Sanderson told us he didn't think it was broken, I left Ty with mom and went back to Jack's game. There was Jack, all suited up playing CATCH! Hello, did the coach NOT get the last memo that his older brother was in the ER after playing catch? Oh wait, he did. Dave is Jack's coach. Apparently, good judgement runs in the family.I told everyone that Ty was ok, his thumb was just jammed. Then I get this text...
His left thumb is broken, right in between the knuckles. Notice the look on his face...this is not a happy camper. He didn't even go home after the hospital, he came back to the ball field to watch (and help coach) Jack's game. Baseball is a love that few understand. There is a little league rule that you can't play in a cast. The very next day, he was playing sandlot baseball with his friends and dad. He also rides his bike and scooter. He's gone to the skate park a couple of times, but I won't let him ride his board. His elbow above the splint is scabbed from falling, and he has bruises all over that arm where the splint doesn't cover. It hasn't stopped him one bit! The last couple of days has been our first "hot" days here though, and he quickly learned what heat does to a cast. He's very glad that this is probably his last week with it.

1 comment:

Graves Family said...

OH MY GOSH WHAT A NIGHT FOR YOU! AND WHAT A TROOPER HE IS ALL I CAN SAY IS HE IS AAAAALLLLL BOY. THANKS FOR POSTING TELL HIM WE HOPE IT COMES OFF SOON!!
I WANT TO TAKE GIRLS TO LINDON SWIM THING LETS DO IT BEFORE SUMMER IS OVER